Welcome to Twenty Shoes. We are a homeschooling family of 10. We're wearing twenty shoes as we travel the journey that the Lord has put in front of us. Through the grace of God (and lots of coffee for this mama!), we are working, playing, learning, and ministering together daily for God's kingdom. We are not perfect...but forgiven! Come join us as we travel this journey and share life together!

Home

Monday, August 20, 2012

And so we begin...again!

                    It happens every year around this time, but this year I think I feel the least prepared for it on an emotional level.  The new school year!  I have felt for the last couple of weeks that we are careening dangerously close to it, and none of us are ready to say goodbye to the rest and fun, and relaxation we've experienced this summer.  But, as I always tell my kids, all good things must come to an end...including summer.   This is the first summer in quite awhile that we have had a chance to rest and just have family fun together.  Last summer my Dad was dying, the summer before Rob's mom was dying while we were also taking care of Dad.  Before that we had chemo, and radiation to deal with, and the loss of my mom.  There was also the summer we took in our foster daughter and spent the summer dealing with her birth family.  We felt much deserved of rest this summer, and we enjoyed it.  I'm just hoping that we are now energized enough to deal with what is looking to be a hectic school year.  

               For those of you who are not already familiar with our family, we are a homeschooling family of 8 children.  That's not even including the 3 cats and 1 dog that call this wooded plot of land home.  Our oldest son is entering into high school this year, which will be a new experience for me (a rather intimidating one).  From there, we have a vast mix of junior high, elementary, kindergarten, preschool, and toddler.  Never a dull moment around here.  
              This school year, although I don't feel prepared emotionally for the school year to start...I will be more "logistically" prepared than I have in a long time!  I am going back to basics this year.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the notebooking that we all enjoy.  We will have outside classes as well this year, but much of what we do at home will be unit study related with notebooking for every subject.  After a few years of trying new things to accomadate the chaos of lifes unwanted circumstances, we've come to realize that the old ways for us were the best.  In future posts, I will talk more about what we are doing with pictures and more info on the methods that work best for our family.  Until then...happy beginning of the school year to all my homeschool and non homeschool friends out there!  It had to come again sometime...let's make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget